Monday, August 30, 2010

My Pal, Dimitrius Roberts



Dimitrius Roberts and I met and bonded in 1999, when he was four or five. I came by the Childhood League center to play one afternoon and I saw this little guy, who looked like a miniature Arnett Howard. He pointed up at the band, as to say, "Look, mom, trumpets and saxophones.

Later we led a mardi gras parade around the yard and naturally, I went out, took his little hand and we marched around the grounds. Afterward, as we sat, I took his hand and used it to play some songs, Yankee Doodle Dandy, etc. We finished our concert, but he definitely made an impression on me.

Early in the next year, I took a spring ski vacation to France. When we returned home to Columbus, I had a phone message for me from Lisa Courtice, Childhood League executive director. "Dimitrius has died and we're going to have a memorial service for him tomorrow." So in the shock of having someone so young pass away, I dedicated the rest of my day to immortalizing him in a New Orleans-style, second line song.

My Pal Dimitrius

Chrs. My pal Dimitrius, he sure is curious.
I think it’s marvelous, I’m really envious.
He simply is a plus, my pal Dimitrius.

A1. Marching’ to the river early in the day
I’ll take my horn and my protege’.
Dimitrius, we’ll get harmonious,
Play loud and boisterous. Me and Dimitrius

A2. He’s got a nickel and I’ve got a dime.
We’ll make people dance in the summertime.
The two of us, we will be devious
Bordering on riotous. Quite loud and furious!

A3. With trumpets on the left and drums on the right
Parading into heavenly sunlight.
Just glorious. I’m talking’ thunderous.
Heaven is prosperous, with my pal Dimitrius.

My pal Dimetrius, he sure is curious.
I think it’s marvelous. I’m really envious.
He simply is a plus, my pal Dimitrius.

I came to the memorial, they saved the song for last and we had a mardi gras parade in his honor. It is ten years later, I see his grandmother periodically and we reminisce about Dimitrius.

No comments: