Monday, August 23, 2010

Bobby Shaw, pianist, drummer, vocalist



Bobby Shaw was my mentor and I was proud to presented Bobby to the Columbus Senior Musicians Hall of Fame in 1997. It was a proud moment for both of us; I told his story to the audience, gave him the award and added a financial gift with the presentation. Bobby is probably the only musician who received an honorarium with his hall of fame award.

The info attached to Bobby’s only page on the world wide web says, “A mutli-talented individual, Bobby Shaw has been an inspiration to many local musicians.  As a child in Chicago, he began singing gospel music as a member of The Shaw Brothers, accompanied by his mother, Letha, on piano (gospel singer Mahalia Jackson called the Shaw Brothers ‘her babies’).  Their popularity was such that they toured throughout the United States."

Shaw was then hired as the pianist on the S.S. Fair Seas, a cruise ship which sailed regularly between California and Alaska.  In 1949, he moved to Columbus, working at various times with Rusty Bryant, Nancy Wilson, Boyd Moore, Roland Kirk, Chic A Dee & Chick A Doo and Arnett Howard, as well as in his own trio. 

Most recently, Shaw has been heard as a member of  The Listen for the Jazz All Star Band and the Jazz & Eggs Jam Sessions. Saxophonist Gene Walker has said of Shaw, "When he discovered that I wanted to play jazz, he took me to the piano in the Downbeat Club and taught me songs.  His influence as a vocalist, pianist and organist has been strong since the 1950s."

Bobby was a contemporary of Nancy Wilson and says that he used to give her lessons in jazz vocal styling. When I began my search for the history of Columbus’ Black entertainers, he was not only an interview subject, but in a short time we were playing together. Our 1980-81 trio was called The A Train and included drummer Eddie Nix. We traveled to Portmouth for a series of concerts, played at the first Columbus Marathon and the two seasoned veterans were my friends. I hate to see them both pass within one year, 2006. BUT THEY WERE HERE!

I thank Bobby Shaw for being a patient teacher and a friend.

1 comment:

Karry said...

That was my dads best friend rip Mr. Bobby Shaw