Friday, February 25, 2011

Jambalya: November, 1984-February, 1985.



I journeyed to Los Angeles, California to strike it rich with my brother Keidi, in November, 1984. He had been there for most of the year and was living in Long Beach. The group was named Jambalya, a Creole Funk Bank, combining his love for Jamaican music and mine was for New Orleans.

I took two keyboards with me, along with my trumpet. We rehearsed, recorded and performed a couple of gigs a week, but the winter in California is just not the time to start a new band. I learned to stretch the few dollars I made by shopping for bread, tuna and noodles.

But I saw and enjoyed a lot of California. I went to flight museums and air bases in Compton and Chino. I spent Christmas with my wife Marge coming out to visit, but after ten weeks of little gain, I bid California farewell and returned to work as an auto mechanic in a Volvo-Mercedes shop in Columbus.

No comments: