Saturday, September 20, 2008

Back from Almost Heaven; Colorado



Le & Betty,

Greetings and thanks for the nice gift that I received in the mail from you this week. At this time last week I was descending from the blue skies and mountains surrounding Denver and on the way back to Denver International Airport for the wilds of Columbus, Ohio. Boy am I glad to be home (LOL).

I went to Denver for the forty-fifth anniversary of Eden Theatrical Workshop, a company that was founded in 1963 by my grandmother, Myrtle Scales and Lucy Walker, for the development of the minority acting community. I played at several high profile venues in the area; Wells Fargo Bank, Manual Training High School and the Pine Valley Golf Club.

But my companion, Christine, and I mainly got away to relax from the grind of six busy months of composing, recording, performing, authoring and promoting. The Queen Anne Inn and Mountain Air Ranch were perfect homes for our six days away.

We spent one afternoon in Colorado Springs, where our former governor Dick Celeste is president of Colorado College, founded in 1874. Outside of his office is a bust of Kathrine Lee Bates, the educator and poet who after a visit to Pike's Peak was inspired to the poem, "Oh beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain." Dick gave us the ten dollar tour of his growing campus and was like a proud papa. He is a great fit for the job.

At Mountain Air Ranch, we rented a lodge with three bedrooms, a huge kitchen, fireplace, a pool, hot tub and extensive hiking trails. We spent mornings on our deck reading, eating healthy, maxing and relaxing. We put on our rugged footwear and walk on trails that climbed onto lookout points, where we gazed onto treelined peaks; almost heaven.

When the day of our flight home came, I was so lethargic, I couldn't find the switch that would return to me fast forward mode. But we finally got it together and returned to Denver International and home to a windstorm disaster in Central Ohio.

No comments: